Monday, March 19, 2012

Gone With The Wind



1939 the year of before we enter a war, and to my surprise, a movie about the south in the bloodiest point in American history came out. I have to agree with some of the people that there is an actual message to this movie, it being that we should stay out of the upcoming war.
In this movie we hear the story of Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) who to me seems a little unhinged. This film may be based on the destruction of Sothern life, I think this was a good time to release this movie, because he might have foreseen the destruction the United States, would bring upon Japan. ”Land is worth fighting for.” This quote is said by Gerald O’Hara (Thomas Mitchell) a free spirited, Irish man who likes to jump over fences. I will introduce you to the other important characters shortly.
Clark Gable as Rhett Butler and Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes, to me seemed to be kind of opposites. Rhett was usually portrayed as a smooth southern gentleman, just like the rest of the characters, but at the same time you always have to be thinking on when he is going to appear next, because if my memory serves, he shows up right before something bad usually happens. Ashley was also a smooth southern gentleman, who happened to have Scarlett falling all over him… unfortunately, it’s only for the money that he has associated with his name, which we kind of have to infer from the story itself, which without you knowledge, you unwittingly start to feel sorry for Rhett because he is desperately in love with Scarlett.

“I have a soft spot for lost causes.” This line is from Rhett and I do believe it is referring to why he loves Scarlett so much.
 



The plot, what can I say on the plot, is that if you enjoy dramas this might be an interesting movie for you to see. It can leave you sitting on the edge of your seat, or fast asleep, because of how slow paced it can be at times. There is one scene where you are looking down on what I am assuming is a railway station, littered with the dead, or soon to be dead, worse than a back ally, in New York City is with paper. This scene actually made me feel sorry for the south. That doesn’t make me a terrible person, just full of pity.
I give this movie a 4 on my rating scale, the main reason is, the story line did capture my attention, at times, the angles where creative, it had perfect timing for events at that time period, and the fact that there are ways you can relate to each character. I thought the acting was a little over board at times. I didn't like how many people, from the main story line died off.

Feel free to comment on my blog. If you are going to argue with me remember that it is my opinion, you can’t change it, so here is what I will think in the words of Rhett if you argue with me.
”Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”-Rhett Buttler
*All links are from Wikipedia, and thank you for the page wiki. For extra information*

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. Nice use of quotes and good depth. I would watch past/presnet tense. Entertaining closing.
    Thanks,
    SWM

    ReplyDelete